Effective home remedies for diabetes
Diabetes (Diabetes mellitus) is a disorder where there is a lack of regulation of blood sugar levels in the body. There are different kinds of diabetes, and all of them are related to issues regarding sugar consumption and absorption. People usually are born with diabetes, or it develops in late adulthood. Either way, because of this disorder, a person is forced to change his/her eating habits. Sugar intake must be limited; they must be calorie conscious etc. The risk of running into diabetes today is very high.
There are different types of diabetes which are as follows.
- Type 1 Diabetes: The body does not produce any insulin in the pancreas. Found in about 10 percent of all diabetic patients.
- Type 2 Diabetes: The body doesn’t use or make insulin appropriately. This is the most common kind of diabetes.
- Prediabetes: Here, the blood sugar is higher than normal but not high enough to be considered diabetes. Hence the name prediabetes.
Home Remedies for Diabetes
Here are some home remedies for diabetes and diabetes blood sugar control:
- Flaxseed oil: Flaxseed oil cures diabetes caused by excessive consumption of sugar. Make this a part of your regular diet, and you will see a decrease in your blood sugar levels drastically. This is one of the essentials to controlling diabetes.
- Vegetables and other foods: Consume green leafy vegetables, cauliflower, tomatoes, i.e., any vegetables that grow above ground. These must be consumed in excess.
Consume carrots, celeriac, and beets in moderate quantities and berries like strawberries and blueberries in limited quantity. Beans and lentils also help in moderate quantities.
- Foods to avoid: Grains, sweet potatoes, corn, etc. Do not consume these foods if you are diabetic as you have a high risk of running into high sugar levels in your bloodstream.
- Exercise: A diabetic needs a minimum of one hour of exercise per day to keep their body in shape, and the sugar levels regulated. It does not necessarily have to be gym workouts. Any regular physical activity like gardening, cleaning etc, can help.
- Overeating Reduction: Reduce risk of overeating. That is one of the prime causes of diabetes in the first place.
- Regular Food: Eat food at regular intervals of time and also consume light food thrice a day if you are on insulin. Consume wheat bran to improve fiber in your diet.
- Diary: If you consume dairy regularly, make sure you choose the one which does not contain fats, and also reduce intake of foods with high calorific content.
- If you are at the risk of diabetes, it is better to control it before you end up having the disease. You should control diabetes well before it advances to the later stages and prevents serious problems well beforehand. It is all in the diet. Control your eating and your sugar levels are automatically regulated.
- Bitter gourd: This is a very sour vegetable and is known for reducing the glucose levels in your entire body upon consumption. On a regular basis, it is difficult to consume. But if you’re a diabetic, it becomes almost mandatory. You can either make a juice of it after removing the seeds or you can consume it as a part of your daily meal. Bitter gourd acts as a temporary substitute for insulin in diabetic patients hence it is a highly recommended home remedy.
- Fenugreek: This is an herb used regulate blood sugar levels and insulin production in the body. Fenugreek also stimulates the release of insulin in the body. Consume with water soaked overnight or powdered with milk. You can reduce glucose levels over a period. This will help you lower diabetes blood sugar levels significantly.
- Mango Leaves: Soak mango leaves for a night in water. Remove leaves and filter water to drink it. You can also eat the dry leaves after powdering them.
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon can fight diabetes and stimulate insulin. Therefore it controls your blood sugar level. Consume cinnamon with warm water once everyday.
- Aloe Vera: Consuming Aloe Vera is a bit difficult due to its bitter taste but you can add it to dishes to make it both soothing, and beneficial. It is said to have anti-inflammatory properties hence you must consume it to reduce your blood sugar levels.
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C is proven to reduce diabetes. So consume fruits which are rich in vitamin C like orange, Alma etc.
- Weight Control: This is one of the main causes of diabetes. Controlling your weight gain is very important when you are at the risk of being diabetic. This is done through diet control, regular exercise and ideal fruits and vegetables.
- Almonds: Almonds reduce your blood sugar levels and also they induce the response of insulin. They’re rich in magnesium.
- Green tea: Consuming green tea regularly is related to reducing the risk of having diabetes.
- Dark Chocolate: Consuming dark chocolate is known to increase insulin sensitivity. It should be extremely dark though, having more than 85 percent of chocolate in it.
Diabetes is a growing problem and once it becomes serious it is quite hard to control diabetes. However, if you are careful enough and take necessary precautions at the first sign of trouble, you should be good to go.