Effective treatments for nasal congestion
Nasal congestion is a common health issue faced because of infection or allergies. A blockage in the nose due to mucus formation leads to nasal congestion. Though common, it is quite excruciating as you start facing difficulty in breathing. It can also be caused by the common cold.
Some of the symptoms caused by the common cold which leads to nasal congestion include:
- Runny and stuffy nose
- Swelling of the nasal tissue
- Buildup of mucus in the nose
Causes of nasal congestion
- Common cold
When tiny viruses enter our body through air, usually via the nose, it leads to nasal congestion, running nose, sneezing, and cough. This is a common cold. There are simple treatments to curb common cold so that it does not lead to nasal congestion.
Flu virus enters the body when you come in contact with a person sneezing or coughing. It affects various parts of the internal system of a body which includes lungs, throat, and nose. It is always confused with the common cold. You can easily cure a cold at home within 3-4 days, but in case of influenza, you need proper medication and treatment.
Sinuses are air-filled space present behind forehead, nasal bone, cheeks and eyes. When the tissue lining of the sinuses is swollen sinusitis occurs, leading to a cough, nose stuffiness, sore throat, headache, and fever. If this is not treated at the earliest, it may lead to nasal congestion.
- Hay Fever
It is a type of allergy that leads to running or stuffy nose, red and watery eyes, sneezing, itching of nose and roof of the mouth and eye.
Nose Congestion Relief
Nose congestion is problematic as it obstructs the process of respiration. You can treat stuffy nose and congestion using easy home remedies.
You must focus on keeping the nasal passage moist whenever facing congestion, for this, you can:
Use vaporizer or nebulizer to breathe in steam
This converts water to moisture that soothes the irritating tissues of nose or sinuses. This also helps in thinning up of mucus in the nose and helps in emptying it up.
- Drink lots of warm fluid
This makes the mucus thin and prevents blockage in sinuses tissue. Warm fluid will help in decreasing pressure on the nose and is also effective to treat a sore throat.
- Keep a warm and wet towel on your face
This prevents sinuses blockage. It is also helpful in relieving the stuffy nose and moistens sinuses tissue.
- Use decongestant
A decongestant is a pharmaceutical drug used as an inhaler to treat nasal congestion. It is a form of a capsule that you can open up and dab it on a hand towel. It is used for inhaling which gives immediate relief.
- Take some antibiotic medicines
Nasal congestion may also occur due to some kind of allergy. Antibiotics are best suited to treat such allergies and gives relief to nasal congestion.
- Use nasal saline spray
Saline spray is used to clear up your nasal passage. It is a saltwater solution that keeps your nostrils moist and prevents dryness.
Acupressure has always been beneficial in all types of diseases. With no side effects, this way of treatment is used to get rid of nasal congestion. Its regular practice offers permanent relief from the ailment.
Mentioned below are 9 points of your body, which can help you get rid of nasal congestion
- Sinuses lie on the back side of the forehead, above the eyebrows, beside the eyes (on the lining of the nose), on both the cheeks (on the lining of the nose).
- Start with eyebrows. Use your index finger and thumb to clutch the eyebrows, now pinch your eyebrows inward.
- The next point is beside the eyes (on the lining of the nose). Use your middle finger and thumb to hold both the lining of your nose. Now press the area rotating clockwise and anticlockwise.
- Now stretch your fingers to the outer socket of the eye, below the eyebrows. Repeat the same process.
- Now move down to the cheekbone. Hold it using your thumb and all the other fingers. Press and repeat the whole process again.
- Move your fingers to the base of the nose and repeat the same exercise again.
- Move towards collarbone now. Use your index finger and middle finger to press it and rotate clockwise and anti-clockwise.
- Now move towards breastbone and press it using two fingers.
- End this with a breathing exercise. Presses the opening of the left nose using thumb and inhale now close the right opening using the middle finger to exhale.
Home remedies are enough to treat nasal congestion. It is easier to take care if it is just a case of common cold. If you experience a long-term nose congestion, you need to seek medical attention immediately for a quick treatment and relief.
Practice these exercises daily, and you’ll feel a change in yourself. These steps act as an effective treatment not only for sinuses problem but also a relief in severe nasal congestion or cold congestion.