Most of you think that one of the main itchy skin causes is drying up of skin. That is partially true. As we age, our skin becomes more and more brittle, thereby drying up quickly. For adults, itchy skin is usually caused by dry skin.
But sometimes, it can have deeper impacts and causes. And during these times, if left unchecked, it can progress to become a bigger problem like itchy skin all over the body and rashes.
Common reasons for itchy skin
There exists a whole array of simple causes for itchy skin. These are usually day-to-day activities that can lead to this issue, with usually no rash.
This is the most common itch condition. Its symptoms are scaling and cracking of the skin.
In case of allergies, the skin will become red and itchy — rather than going white like in case of dry skin. It can also cause fever.
Most common bites will swell up and be red, along with itchy skin near the bite area, it may cause itchy skin all over the body. It can also lead to muscle pain.
This usually happens in body parts with hair and leads to severe itching. It causes itchy skin with no rash.
Diaper rash or jock itch
Common in babies, this leads to rashes and severe itching around the groin area, usually caused by unclean diapers and sweating around the groin.
Serious reasons for itchy skin
Although it is classified as a simple ailment, many a time, itchy skin is caused by far severe diseases of both the skin and the body. It is important to know the various symptoms and look out for them in case of itchy skin or a rash.
Dermatitis starts with mild itching but can become severe with a rash. Visit to a doctor is highly recommended.
In this case, the surfaces of palms and toes are covered with sores and become very itchy. These sores become filled with fluids and can also lead to cracking of skin.
This type of skin infection occurs in the body’s folded parts. It can be solved with effective moisturizing but if left unchecked, it can lead to rashes.
This is a severe skin infection that leads to large patches of skin on the upper torso, turning red and itchy. Visit to a doctor is highly recommended.
This type of allergy is usually caused by plants. The infection leads to scratching in the throat. It can be fatal to children.
This common kind of body allergy leads to itchy skin all over the body. It is usually caused by an unclean lifestyle and is highly transmissible.
Simple home remedies for itchy skin
As itchy skin has always been a common, persistent ailment, people have also come up with a list of simple home remedies to tackle the issue. Here are a few:
- Run a bath of cool water and mix a cup of baking soda. Then take a bath in it for around half an hour. This simple remedy can cure a lot of common itchy problems. It is important to dry yourself well after the bath.
- Oatmeal: Mix a cup of oatmeal in a bucket of water and apply it on itchy skin. Avoid using water that is too hot, as it can have reverse effects.
- Apple cider: In case the itch is on a small part of your skin, soak a piece of cotton with apple cider and apply it on that part. If the itch is all over your body, mix a small amount of apple cider in your bathwater and soak yourself in it for about 15 minutes.
- Essential oils: There are a variety of essential oils for skincare needs, that help with itchy skin. Some of them are basil oil, clove oil, geranium oil, neem oil, etc.
- Lemon juice: A piece of lemon can be directly applied to an itchy spot. But this method is best avoided in case of severe itching as it may lead to burning of the area.
- Dry fruits: Lack of vitamin A, B, and E causes the skin to dry up faster, thereby causing itching. Dry fruits are rich in these vitamins and a good amount of nuts in your diet can lead to very healthy skin.
Whatever happens, try to keep the itching to a minimum when faced with the problem of itchy skin. Also, try not to apply cold water directly to the spot of itch. This can make the itch better for a short period of time, but ultimately leads to worsening of the skin by drying the skin up even more.
In most cases, itchy skin is a common condition with no serious effects. However, if there is presence of rash or if the itch seems to be spreading all over the body, visit to a doctor is recommended.