Treatment for toenail infection
Toenail fungal infections are seen in one in 20 people in the world. The infections begin with a discolored nail having a white and yellowish tinge under the tips of the toenails. The toenail starts getting yellowish as the infection increases. The toe nail edges become very thick and enamel starts breaking on the edges. If the infection becomes severe and gives you more pain, you may need treatment. The issue of toenail fungus is that even if its treated at home there are chances it comes back.
Symptoms of Toenail Fungal Infection
- Thick nail edges
- Foul smelling nails
- Dark color because of the fungus
- Disfigured nails
- Broken enamel edges
If you are diabetic and have formed the toenail fungal infection, it would be time to visit your doctor and ask for prescription. Toe nail fungal infections are caused by the fungi and most common type of fungi is called dermatophyte. There are other environmental factors as well that causes toenail fungal infection and can cause serious issues for example yeast and molds. There is no age barrier for toenail fungal infections. Some old aged people get their nail to be brittle and broken and sometimes very dry. The enamel cracks on the nails are a home for fungus. If the blood circulation in the body to the feet is not proper, then you have chances to get fungi. Toenail infection can begin with athlete’s foot that is fungus on the feet like corns or warts moving to the toe nails. The toenail fungal infection is not contagious. The extreme cases of toenail fungus could be thorn itching and painful and sometimes can cause total damage to the nails. The infection if not cured can leads up to other diseases as well and if you are diabetic there are high complications linked to it. The blood circulation thins if you are a diabetic patient and the nerve supply to your feet decreases. In such a case the bacteria can start from a minor level to a major toenail fungal infection. If you are a person who sweats a lot out of feet, there are high chances of developing the toenail fungal infection. One in ten older people have a tendency to developing nail infections and fungi growth stops the nail growth. Previous diseases like athlete’s foot, walking on marsh lands on bare foot moving a lot of damp areas, gymming etc. Psoriasis gets developed having a minor skin injury or a normal skin condition.
- Always chop your nails on time and smoothen the edges of nails by proper pedicure or manicure methods.
- Use a good foot nail cream for moisturization.
- Choose footwear that gives space for air circulation.
- Always choose sweat absorbing pair of socks that goes with the shoes.
- Use antifungal powders or disinfectants to get rid of the fungus from shoes.
Some people do not get bothered about the toenail fungal infection and this results in splitting and crumbling of the nails.
Natural Treatment Methods:
- Baking soda helps block smelly feet and treat toenail fungal infection. Add to 4 cups of hot water half a cup baking soda, quarter cup of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide and half a cup of Epsom salt. Once this mixture is stirred well add a quarter cup of white vinegar as well. Immerse the toe nail in this mix for at least 30 minutes. Wash your feet once completed and dry it with a neat dry towel. Repeat the procedure for twice a day for a week and you can see the results.
- Tea tree oil is another remedy for fighting the bacteria and killing the germs. This is also used to treat other kinds of skin fungal infections. Mix few drops of tea tree oil with one teaspoon of coconut oil or olive oil. Soak a cotton ball in this mixture and apply on toe. Leave the cotton ball on your toe for at least 10 minutes, and then use a toothbrush to lightly scrub the nails. You can repeat this for a week and see the infection reducing and the infected nail coming out for the growth of new nail.
- Apple cider vinegar can be helpful in order to treat toenail fungal infection. The acidic nature can help stop the fungal growth from spreading. The apple cider vinegar kills the fungi and the bacteria. Another usage of apple cider vinegar would be soaking your feet in a mixture of vinegar and Luke warm water for at least 30 minutes every day.
- White vinegar is another helpful ingredient to heal your toenail fungal infection. It helps fix the skin’s acid level.