Waking up the sensory receptors
Nerves and neurons all around the human body is a network of countless connections that one can’t imagine of. And this is where the hand plays a very crucial role for its touch receptors that connects directly with our brains via nerves. The brain of a human being is literally up and running 24/7 and imagine a nerve not responding may leave the hands in a vegetative state creating a situation of hand numbness. The medical anatomy behind hand numbness as per the National Institute of Health US is the carpal tunnel syndrome along with the tingling of fingers and thumbs. A lot of other syndromes including tennis elbow, thyroid disorder, alcohol, cysts, Lyme disease, multiple sclerosis and many more are also equally responsible to create a nerve cut off in the hand receptors.
The above reasons give a small glimpse of what could create a state of hand numbness. However according to the American Society of Surgery of the hand, there is a huge list of probable reasons that leads to hand numbness such as cold hand disease, vascular disease, Erb’s palsy, CTC, nerve injury, blood vessel enlargement, muscle thickening, neck compression, arthritis in the neck, spinal cord disease and the list goes on. The Spondylitis Association of America also states that Cervical Spondylosis or neck arthritis can create numbness in the arms and hands as one ages. The CDC sites hand numbness to be one of the symptoms causing fibromyalgia a condition that creates pain all across the body. Further to this, the Multiple Sclerosis Association of America also confirms that hand numbness is one among the other symptoms. According to the US department of labor, hand numbness is one of the major reasons for missing work. Treatment is widely available across US in form of neuropathy along with comprehensive patient care. The treatment is an on-going one with several consultation sessions, diagnosis and care. Following are some of the good treatment centers for hand numbness that one may consider:
• New York Hand & Wrist Center: Equipped with state of art facilities and known for its comprehensive end-to-end management and treatment of hand, wrist and elbow disorders
• Weill Cornell Medicine: Provides the best comprehensive care for patients suffering from nerve and muscle disorders
• PRIVIA Medical group: The neurology center is known for its peripheral neuropathy treatment
• Fort Collins CO: Known for its advanced nerve treatment integrated with physical medicine and laser technology
• MedStar Union Memorial Hospital: The Curtis National Hand Center house to the most experienced surgeons and hand specialists.
• Hand Center Ortho Carolina: Advanced orthopedic surgeons with up-to-date treatment
• NYU Langone Health: treatment available for all age groups
• University of Maryland Medical Center: Provide in-depth diagnosis, treatment and prevention of carpal tunnel syndrome
• Center for Nerve Injury & Paralysis
• Johns Hopkins Medicine: Experts in nerve disorders providing top quality care
• Cleveland Clinic
• Center for Brachial Plexus and Traumatic Nerve Injury: huge team of diversified health professionals along with state-of-the-art diagnostic options
• Philadelphia hand to shoulder center: highly skilled orthopedic specialists with certified hand therapists
• Arthritis Foundation: Provides helpful resources related to hand numbness and related nerve disorders
Permanent cure in case of hand numbness cannot be vouched on as there is a probability of getting it back within 6 months to 7 years. Essentially, there is a fair amount of out-of-pocket expenses associated with the treatment. Around three million Americans are a victim of hand numbness only in the US on an annual basis. And if a surgery is the need of the hour, health insurance is a must. If not insurance, hand numbness is a good $300 charge just for doctor visit along with medication. Additionally, the overall cost inclusive of physical therapy might go up to a thousand of dollars. Medicare services are widely available in the US for some of the expenses related to hand numbness including bills and out-of-pocket expenses. Also state wise health insurance plans are available which is inclusive of both short-term and major healthcare.
To reduce the intensity of this neurological disease, the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke is striving to understand the basics of brain and nervous system to better understand and eventually find the right treatment. This disorder has already affected approximately 3 to 6% of Americans and a majority of these cases have been corrected with hand surgery. As cited earlier that this situation cannot be resolved permanently, one can treat with a few home remedies available all over the net. In the worst case, reach out to hand and upper extremity specialists and surgeons for their valuable advice. According to the American College of Rheumatology, this situation is common to younger crowd and females in ratio of 3:1 men with former being women. This is a huge blow to the gender reality, yet proper treatment and preventive measures can make it an amicable situation for the hands to function properly.