Garcinia cambogia also known as Malabar tamarind is a type of exotic fruit native to the Southeast Asian countries and India. Hydroxycitric acid (HCA) is the primary element that is found in the rind of this fruit, which is believed to promote weight loss. Therefore, multiple manufacturers are selling garcinia cambogia as an over-the-counter supplement.
Different uses of garcinia cambogia
The benefits of garcinia cambogia are disputed by numerous research studies. Some say it is beneficial while others say that there isn’t adequate conclusive data to support this claim. Given below are some of the possible uses of garcinia cambogia.
- Weight loss: Research has discovered that garcinia cambogia can aid in weight loss by blocking an enzyme known as adenosine triphosphate-citrate-lyase which is responsible for forming fat cells. However, the evidence isn’t concrete neither consistent across various studies. Moreover, the weight loss achieved using garcinia cambogia is quite marginal. So, it might not be the best pick for individuals looking for quick solutions for losing weight.
- Curbs the appetite: Certain investigators estimate that the HCA can help control the appetite by increasing the serotonin production in the body. A type of neurotransmitter, serotonin is associated with the feelings of happiness and tranquility. Having healthy levels of serotonin can help prevent overeating. Binging on comfort foods is often observed in persons battling mental disorders like depression or anxiety.
- Lowers cholesterol: Garcinia cambogia is claimed to improve cholesterol levels by lowering the LDL cholesterol (bad cholesterol) and raising the HDL cholesterol (good cholesterol). However, like weight loss, the effects of garcinia cambogia on cholesterol levels are minimal and debatable. Moreover, people already on medications for cholesterol control should refrain from using such supplements, as they may cause side effects. Therefore, it is safe to rely on the tried and tested remedies like a clean and wholesome diet as well as regular workout sessions.
- Regulates blood sugar: There is some empirical proof that garcinia cambogia can help in stabilizing the blood sugar by enhancing the ability of the cells to absorb the glucose for energy generation. This might also contribute to weight loss, as it allows the body cells to properly metabolize the food. Furthermore, some studies suggest that it could improve the body’s response to insulin. However, it holds the risk of dropping the blood sugar levels to a severely low level.
Is garcinia cambogia safe to use?
The effects of garcinia cambogia aren’t uniform across users; therefore, there is a huge level of uncertainty revolving around it. Some individuals don’t experience any issues; however, there have been quite a few instances where its unpleasant side effects have come to surface. Some of the possible side effects of garcinia cambogia are as follows:
- Nausea and fatigue
- Brain fog
- Weakening of the immunity system
- Dry mouth and bad breath
- Rashes on the skin
Therefore, if one is planning to use garcinia cambogia, then it is recommended that they discuss its potential risks with their general practitioner. This is especially essential if a person is already suffering from a health condition or is on some kind of medication.