6 effective ways to maintain normal cholesterol levels
The key to leading a healthy life is to practice moderation in everything you do; be it your work or diet, you need to master the art of moderation. Anything more or less than the required amount can lead to unfavorable consequences. This holds true in the case of cholesterol as well. Our body houses “good” and “bad” cholesterol, HDL (high-density lipoproteins) and LDL (low-density lipoproteins) cholesterol respectively.
Cholesterol is a necessary component produced by the liver to generate vitamin D, produce hormones, and help us digest food. So, one can never be free of cholesterol. However, the problem arises when the LDL cholesterol level rises because of the callousness observed with the diet and exercise regime. It is possible to bring down one’s cholesterol levels by adhering to a strict diet and exercise routine, but the herculean task where anyone can falter is to maintain their cholesterol levels within the normal cholesterol range as per the chart.
So, without further ado, here are certain things you can do to maintain normal cholesterol levels.
- Undergo cholesterol tests regularly: Even if you have succeeded in lowering your cholesterol levels and bringing it down to acceptable levels, it is imperative that you go in for regular cholesterol tests. It will help you gauge your progress in maintaining normal cholesterol levels, and if the results aren’t in your favor, you’ll know where exactly to divert your efforts hereon.
- Reduce meat intake: Though our liver is responsible for producing cholesterol, certain types of food, especially meat and dairy products are known to contain cholesterol. So, to maintain normal cholesterol levels, you should reduce your meat intake. If you have qualms about doing so as it can affect your protein consumption, you can switch to legumes instead. Finding an alternate protein source is highly recommended in such situations.
- Say yes to unsaturated vegetable oils: Making major amends to your diet can prove instrumental in helping you maintain normal cholesterol levels. Instead of picking up the regular cooking oil, you can opt for unsaturated vegetable oils like canola oil or olive oil, as it prevents the risk of potential heart diseases.
- Exercise regularly: We are well aware of the benefits of exercising regularly. If you wish to maintain normal cholesterol levels, it is imperative that you start exercising regularly. All you have to do is find an activity of your choice and make time for the same. It is necessary that you exercise at least thrice a week. One of the reasons for the sudden spikes in cholesterol levels is the sedentary lifestyle that a majority of people lead. So, invest in a nice pair of sports shoes and start your exercise regime.
- Quit smoking: It is common knowledge that smoking is detrimental to our health. In addition to being one of the leading causes of cancer and other illnesses, studies have revealed that smoking can reduce the good cholesterol levels in the body. This can worsen the situation as a reduction in the HDL cholesterol levels implies the weakening of the protection provided by HDL against heart diseases, atherosclerosis, hypertension, and stroke.
- Lose weight: Maintaining a healthy weight proves beneficial in the long run; for starters, it keeps you safe from illness caused by being overweight. Even the few extra pounds one carries can contribute immensely to high cholesterol. So, make amends to your diet and follow an exercise schedule to shed those stubborn extra pounds.
Tags- Cholesterol, Cholesterol, Cholesterol Levels/Chart, Normal Cholesterol Range
Main category- health & wellness
secondary category- Fitness