Benefits of following the paleo diet
The paleo diet aims at attaining maximum health benefits by altering what and how we eat. Paleo diet is derived from the diet followed by people in the Paleolithic era. Those who wish to lead a healthy life with a decreased risk of developing illnesses like diabetes, obesity, and heart diseases can incorporate paleo diet in their lives. Paleo diet can be difficult to follow; however, there are multiple health benefits associated with following this diet.
Before we take a look at the benefits, it’s essential to know about the foods that should be included and excluded from the paleo diet.
Foods to include in the paleo diet:
- Meat – Chicken, beef, turkey, pork, lamb, and others.
- Seafood and fish – Trout, salmon, shrimp, shellfish, haddock, etc.
- Eggs – Free-range eggs and omega-3 enriched or pastured eggs.
- Vegetables – Kale, broccoli, peppers, carrots, onions, tomatoes, etc.
- Fruits – Bananas, oranges, apples, avocados, strawberries, blueberries, etc.
- Nuts and seeds – Almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and more.
- Healthy fats and oils – Coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil, avocado oil, etc.
- Salt and spices – Garlic, sea salt, rosemary, turmeric, etc.
Foods and ingredients to exclude from the paleo diet:
- Grains – Breads, pastas, wheat, barley, rye, spelt, etc.
- Legumes – Beans, chickpea, lentils, pea, etc.
- Dairy – Most dairy products including low-fat dairy.
- Some types of oils – Sunflower oil, cottonseed oil, grapeseed oil, soybean oil, corn oil, etc.
- Trans fats – Found in processed foods.
- Artificial sweeteners – Cyclamate, saccharin, acesulfame potassium, and sucralose.
- Highly processed foods – Instant noodles, canned food, cereal bars, frozen food, etc.
The foods mentioned above will help you maintain a healthy lifestyle, thereby enabling you to reap multiple benefits of the paleo diet. Some of these benefits have been mentioned below.
Sustained weight loss
Weight loss is one of the most desired outcomes of several diets that people follow. This outcome can be achieved by following the paleo diet. According to studies, paleo diet is also one of the most efficient ways of sustainable weight loss.
Improves food intake and reduced unhealthy food cravings
By following the paleo diet, one consumes foods that are natural and unprocessed. With this increased intake of healthy foods, people experience a substantial decrease in their unhealthy food cravings.
Promotes regular physical activity
Paleo diet is not limited to food consumption as it also promotes a healthy lifestyle that focuses on regular physical activity. These activities include regular exercising, walking, running, swimming, and cycling.
Certain foods can cause damage to the lining of the digestive system. This can further lead to inflammation and thus make the immune system extremely sensitive. A sensitive immune system can further result in conditions like asthma, certain allergies, and health problems. By following the paleo diet, one can eliminate foods that can cause inflammation which can result in health complications.
Improved gut health
Most illnesses and diseases begin in the gut. Following the paleo diet can help enhance one’s gut health as consuming healthy foods will help reduce irritation in the digestive system.
The paleo diet aims at improving one’s diet and lifestyle that helps improve their sleeping pattern resulting in better sleep.
Free from chronic illnesses
Since the diet involves eating right and leading a healthy lifestyle, it helps in reducing several risks of chronic illnesses and diseases that include gout, myopia, acne, osteoporosis, cancer, type 2 diabetes, obesity, cardiovascular diseases, autoimmune diseases, and so on.