The erroneous lifestyle choices we make and our genetic predisposition has resulted in more than 100 million adults in the country living with diabetes or prediabetes. Diabetes, often referred to as diabetes mellitus, is a group of metabolic diseases where a person has high blood glucose levels. This sudden spike in the blood glucose levels can be attributed to the inadequate production of insulin or when the body’s cells do not respond favorably to the insulin, or at times, both.
People with diabetes often experience sudden shifts in their blood glucose levels, and the consequences of the same can be quite fatal. Therefore, to ensure that the blood glucose levels stay within the accepted range, people with diabetes are advised to create their own diabetic diet plans.
Some of the best foods for diabetes to include in your diabetic diet plans are as follows:
- Fatty fish: Contrary to popular beliefs, all fats aren’t bad for one’s health. In fact, fatty fish is considered to be one of the healthiest foods to include in your diabetic diet plans. Getting ample of omega-3 fatty acids—such as DHA and EPA that are found in salmon, herring, sardines, and mackerel—will prove beneficial for diabetics who are at an increased risk of heart disease and stroke. DHA and EPA are instrumental in protecting the lining of the blood vessels and reducing the markers of inflammation; it can also help improve the arterial function after eating.
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon is commonly used in cooking, but its potent antioxidant activity is what makes it a right candidate to feature in your diabetic diet plans. Studies have revealed that cinnamon has the ability to lower blood sugar levels and can improve insulin sensitivity. People with type 2 diabetes will benefit by adding this spice to their diabetic diet plan as it has the ability to bring down the hemoglobin A1c dramatically. Cinnamon is one of the best foods for diabetics.
- Eggs: One of the important rules that diabetics have to follow is to never skip a meal and always have their meals on time. Eggs are the perfect breakfast for diabetics. It has been asserted that regular consumption of eggs can help reduce an individual’s risk of potential heart disease. In fact, eggs can reduce inflammation, improve insulin sensitivity, and increase the good HDL cholesterol levels. However, instead of only consuming egg whites, it is imperative that diabetics consume whole eggs since the essential nutrients are found in the yolk and not the white.
- Broccoli: Broccoli is one of the best foods for diabetics. In fact, it is the most nutritious vegetable. Adding even half a cup of cooked broccoli to your diabetic diet plan will bring only 27 calories, 3 grams of digestible carbs, and nutrients like vitamin C and magnesium to the plate. Broccoli is also instrumental in lowering insulin levels, thereby, protecting cells from harmful free radicals that are produced during metabolism.
- Chia seeds: Chia seeds are the ultimate superfood for diabetics; it will do wonders in helping you maintain appropriate blood glucose levels if you make it a part of your diabetic diet plan. Chia seeds are extremely high in fiber and have low digestible carbs. Chia seeds are also instrumental in helping people achieve their desired weight goal as the fiber content reduces hunger and keeps you full for a long time.