Treatment and home remedies for gum disease
Gum disease is often caused by neglect of regular dental hygiene. You have to brush and floss your teeth every day, in the morning and at night. Also, you must maintain a healthy diet. If you have dental problems, see your dentist at once to prevent it from degenerating and get good gum disease treatment.
Gum disease – What causes it?
The human body is a host to a lot of microorganisms, and the mouth is no exception. The mouth can contain friendly microorganisms that help in keeping our gums and teeth healthy, as well as other organisms that cause infection.
Gum disease can start as Gingivitis, an inflammation of the gums accompanied by gum bleeding. If you ignore it, Gingivitis may progress into periodontitis or advanced gum disease. Gingivitis is triggered by the buildup of plaque, which is caused by bacteria colonizing the food debris left in your gums and teeth. This causes a thin build up on your teeth. This can harden into tartar which is harder to remove.
Plaque and tartar eventually cause enamel breakdown and damage your teeth and gums, causing gum infection, inflammation, bleeding and eventually periodontal disease or gum disease.
Gum disease – How to prevent it?
Good oral hygiene, and a good diet that contains a lot of fruits and vegetables. Eating less fried foods and sugary foods can also help. Carefully brush and floss your teeth twice every day. Don’t skip your dental appointments and if you need professional dental cleaning and gum disease treatment, keep the appointment.
Being careless about basic dental hygiene and skipping regular dental checkups and gum disease treatment can make you vulnerable to problems later on. You may even require surgery. Your doctor will first try regular dental cleaning to get rid of plaque and tartar. If that does not work, you may have to undergo a deeper cleaning procedure, Scaling and Root Planing which is a part of all gum disease treatments.
Scaling and Root planing involve cleaning and removing plaque and tartar from above and below your gum line. Root planning consists of scraping and smoothing rough patches on your teeth roots. All this helps to get rid of bacteria that cause gum disease. If your gum disease does not respond even to this, you may have to undergo surgical procedures like gum flap surgery, Bone grafting, and soft tissue grafting. If you’re wondering how to stop bleeding gums, there are many ways.
Remedies for gum disease
There are several natural remedies and gum disease treatments you might try to halt the progress of gum disease. Traditionally, many herbs and spices have been used to maintain dental health. There are also several simple techniques you can use to maintain proper dental hygiene:
- When you brush your teeth, remember to also gently massage your gums with the brush.
- Using a herbal toothpaste that contains neem and clove can be helpful. Neem has traditionally been used for its antimicrobial properties. Clove can control inflammation and help reduce pain.
- Gum disease often leads to gum bleeding. Use clove oil, Aloe Vera gel, and saline water gargling. Make a paste of baking soda mixed with a little water and apply it to the affected area to stop the bleeding.
- Chew on Avocado leaves or crush a few leaves and apply it on your gums. This can be effective in treating gum infection.
- Mix salt in a cup of warm water and gargle this water to rinse your mouth. This can stop gum bleeding as well as soothe and treat sore gums.
- Boil a few sage leaves in water and then rinse to soothe your gums. You can also make a herbal drink using sage leaves or thyme leaves to treat gum disease. Sage has antioxidants, anti-inflammatory, and antimicrobial properties. Thyme is a well-known folk remedy for maintaining dental health.
- Ayurveda recommends using Black Pepper and Turmeric to maintain gum health. Crush black pepper and add some turmeric powder. Mix them together and gently massage the paste over your gums. Then, rinse your gums with cool drinking water.
- While you can use mustard oil mixed with salt to strengthen your teeth and gums, don’t try this remedy when you have gum inflammation and bleeding. You can use this gum disease treatment after your gums have healed.
- Eat an ample number of fruits and vegetables. They contain vital nutrients and phytonutrients, which are natural compounds produced by plants as a defense against invasive organisms.
- Try oil pulling. It is highly effective in cleaning your mouth with plaque and food debris, and this helps in effectively pulling toxins out of your mouth. Ensure that the oil you use to rinse your mouth is organic. Use sesame oil or coconut oil
Maintaining good dental hygiene, using natural preparations to maintain oral health, and regular dental checkups with gum disease treatments can help protect you against serious dental problems. If you have gum inflammation and gum bleeding, make use of good gum disease home remedies to treat the condition and stop it from becoming worse.